As usual, I forget to plan ahead and wish everyone a wondering Thanksgiving so, I hope everyone had a great holiday!
Erik & I traveled to Hillsboro to eat vegetarian food with mom. It's amazing, after 10 years, she doesn't beg for turkey on Thanksgiving! We have "Holiday Halibut" but thanks to roaring prices and lack of product, it was "Festive Cod" this year. My mom makes a mean fish and as usual, it was delicious!
Mom had organized a group of people (including us) to volunteer at a local church who needed help feeding the less fortunate. Not all were homeless but none the less, my heart still broke. Most waited for hours in the cold rain (I begged my mom to let the wait inside but rules are rules - I thought it was stupid). I lost it when everyone filled the hall to find a seat. Great-Grandmas, Veterans, Disabled, Immigrants and Children. I also saw one volunteer for every person who came for a meal. We served everyone at their table. We used real flatware & dishes - no plastic. We sat and talked and as the room grew warmer, hopeless faces seemed a little happier. Everyone got to go boxes as well as how every many servings they desired. A local restaurant owner and chef (as well as a team of employees) donated not only food, but an entire day of cooking at the church (which meant less time at home with families and football). My mom, Erik & I spent half the day preparing food, setting up tables, folding napkins and decorating. As we started and finished projects, the room remained quiet. Everyone in thought. At the end of the night, the man who was the first in line (at 2:00pm, dinner was scheduled for 6:00pm) stood and asked for everyone's attention. He said he was thankful for us volunteers who choose to spend less time with their families. He was thankful for the church who provided the kitchen & dinning hall. Then he asked for a round of applause expressing thanks. I lost it again ... It was a truly inspiring day.
After I finish balling (which I am doing right now) I will collect my thoughts on what, why and how.
I am thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful for my job. I am thankful for a roof over my head and socks on my feet.
I'm reminded of a Brett Dennen song There is so much more .... "I wonder how so many can be in so much pain, while others don't seem to feel a thing. Then I curse my whiteness and a I get so damned depressed. In a world of suffering, why should I be so blessed."
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How cool! I'm glad you guys got to do that, what a wonderful experience. I bet it won't be your last Thanksgiving doing that either huh?
Post a Comment