Yesterday I took a very crowded bus home from downtown and I had to stand in the very back. I don't mind standing - I'd prefer to stand rather then to wait for another bus. As I attempt to brace myself (I'm short) with one hand on the "oh crap" bar, I notice, that the seats surrounding me are filled with 30-something men. I noticed that both of the three-seater benches only occupied two spaciously seated men and the-seater bench at the very back, only occupied three 30-something men. I thought it was interesting how out of the 7 men surrounding me - not one offered to make space or give up their seat. Not that I mind standing, but again, thought it was interesting. When Erik picked me up at the park-n-ride, I asked him "Would you give your seat to me if you were in that situation" .... he thought & responded "No, equal rights right?". That got me thinking ... I have given up me seat a number of times for anyone who might look like they need it more regardless of sex, race, age etc .... Is this a question about Chivalry, Equal Rights or just plain manners?
I have thought about this for a few days now and I truly believe it's a matter of plain manners
... or ...
Maybe they like the view of my back side :)
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I find this "kyle-post" very interesting. Metro is my primary mode of travel. I enjoy readng, naping, visiting with my bus-friends, and watching the miles of crunched cars. I am glad not to drive with tight grip on wheel and tensed-up mood. When drivers arrive at destination they are very tired, I remember. I lived on I-5, I-90, I-405 for years. Not fun.
I think we show our empathy for others by our behavior on bus. It is very hard to think of sitting when a disadvantage person stands. (oops! showing my age, yet I would stand for any girl for sure!. Oh yea. and those loud c-phones conversations are my grip!)
Post a Comment